Saturday, July 12, 2014

ONE NEVER KNOWS



I saw another news report about the baby, Aniston Walker. As I wrote in my last blog post, the baby's death still haunts me. We are limited individuals. We don't know what's going on around us.

Sometimes I forget to stop, look about, and ask myself, "What's going on around me? How's the other guy's life?"

A few years ago I drove a route past one school to work at another. On my way to work, I regularly passed a particular crossing guard. She was a woman with a lot of pep, even early in the morning. Whether in the sunshine, rain, or frigid weather, she always had a smile on her face as she directed traffic.

I didn't suspect it at the time, but I later came to know that woman, and that all was not as it appeared.

That woman was a single mother raising two sons almost completely on her own. During that year I drove passed her on the way to work, her family lost their home and all their possessions in a flood. By the end of that year she was diagnosed with cancer.

--And all the while she smiled as she directed traffic before and after school.

I pray that I will be more sensitive, aware that those around me have needs. It may cause me to remember to say a prayer and offer a little kindness to those who cross my path.


No comments: