Friday, October 28, 2011

JUST ANOTHER TUESDAY/ MY TRAVELS THROUGH MEMPHIS



Have you ever had one of those days? Sure, we all have. After sharing snip-its of my Tuesday adventure on Facebook, I thought I would give a few more details on my blog.

Well, Tuesday morning started like most. I got up and looked for a substitute teaching job on my computer. Unfortunately, there were no jobs available, so I thought I would attend a job training program in Memphis. Maybe I could pick up some Saturday work to go along with my regular job.

Because I had just gotten my car back from the mechanic, I was a little concerned about driving along the interstate. I did have things to do, so I went against my best instincts and headed into the big city.

The car drove without any hesitations along I-40 and I traveled downtown, into Memphis. That was when it happened. The car stalled at the intersection of Bellevue and Poplar. When I went to restart the car, nothing happened except a simple click.

After a moment a kind, African-American woman stopped and tried to help me jump start the car. Since I had a new battery, I didn't think that was the problem. The car would not start.

Two men volunteered to push the Saturn into the parking lot of
The Dental Connection, on 1195 Poplar Ave., in Memphis. When the car was finally parked, both men began to aggressively demand money. Frightened, I gave them a few dollars cash and locked the car doors until they went away. I called for help and waited.

In time my brother arrived and we tried again to jump start the car, but there was only the clicking noise. I went into The Dental Connection to tell the owner that I would be making arrangements for a tow. The heavy set woman was extremely upset that my car was in the parking lot and insisted that I move it instantly, handing me a phone book and telling me to have it towed immediately.

I tried to explain that I have roadside service and had to work out the details to find out which tow service to call and which mechanic to use. This woman wanted to hear no excuses. She wanted the car moved or would make arrangements to have it moved. I asked her to give me a little time. She said that I had till 6:00 pm. It was all ready 3:00.

Eventually the car was moved. As if to completely mock me, the mechanic was able to instantly start the engine. It seems that the starter was warn out, only working sometimes.

That evening I decided to try to lose myself in a chef salad and mindless TV. As I sat curled in my bed watching a show, I looked at my bedside table and my loyal dog was snatching croutons and chunks of cheese off of my salad. Even Man's Best Friend turned against me.

No comments: