Tuesday, December 28, 2010

BACK ON SCHEDULE


The holiday threw me off my schedule, a bit. Well, the holiday and a bit of a personal problem, but that's a topic for another time. The important thing is--this afternoon I got back on schedule.

Part of my new, healthier regiment involves water aerobics. I go twice a week to the afternoon class at the Wellness Center, in Memphis. Let me tell you, this isn't your grandmother's aerobics class!

When I first started Willie's class (Willie is our trainer) I couldn't keep up. In fact, I wasn't really sure if I would be able to get out of bed to go to work the next day. After all, you always feel worse a day or two after you start a new work out program.

My body was so unaccustomed to exercise that I took an Ai Chi water class for a couple of months just to limber up. In time, I felt I might be able to graduate to the more strenuous aerobics class, 45 minutes to an hour of constant movement; running, jumping, reaching.

At first I couldn't keep up at all. I was constantly fighting the tightness in my ankles and calves. Sometimes I would have to work out a muscle cramp. I haven't had any of those problems in awhile.

I am stronger now and my body is a little more limber. At the end of the workouts Willie always asks us to stretch a leg behind our back and grab the ankle. I have never been able to do that stretch--until today. Today I was able to grab both my right ankle, then my left ankle.

There haven't been many people attending classes this December. Willie says that the pool will probably be packed next week. After all, everyone will make New Year's resolutions to get healthy.

I think I can successfully say that I have completed that portion of my resolution this year. I will access this in further detail in my next post.




No comments: