Sunday, January 24, 2010

Who Decides



Let me preface this post by stating that I have all ready made a donation toward the Haiti relief effort. I have several other organizations that I support on a regular basis.

Two nights ago I flipped through over thirty channels on my TV to see the telethon for the Haiti relief effort. This isn't the first time that celebrities have come together to "guide" or "enlighten" us about a specific cause.

This all got me to wondering, with all the natural disasters on our planet, who decides which ones get the media attention. Stars gathered to sing about famine in Africa and the earthquake in Haiti, but not for the Tsunami in Ecuador. Why? I mean, who decides? If there are 2 big disasters in one year, does one cancel out the other?

--And after the Red Carpet is rolled up and overhead is paid, who benefits more--those who needed the relief, or the careers of the stars? I don't know, but there is no harm in asking.

Don't get me wrong, agencies need money to do their good works. Right now I have school children collecting pennies to buy chicks for families in undeveloped countries. The kids won't get Red Carpet treatment and they won't appear on a telethon, but I know their hearts are in the right place and I pray that the money they collect will help change lives.


2 comments:

Pegg Thomas said...

I have no problem with the big names coming out to raise money as long as it goes to some organization with accountability, like the Red Cross or Salvation Army.

Personally, I like to give through out church to our missionaries who are on the ground, with no red carpets, giving help, hope and His word.

Toni Mabry said...

I agree. I have come to the place where I give more frequently to smaller groups or individuals because I can see whether the money is going to those who need it.

I watched a documentary in the late '80s or early '90s that showed how the big bashes held at the time gave a lot of free publicity to the stars and they had a great time at their fund raising parities, but very little money actually went to the charities themselves.