Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Another Mother's Day Thought--2 Kinds of Mothers


My current job has left me somewhat jaded. I work with beautiful little babies and children, but many of the mothers seem to view their children as an afterthought. I won't venture to guess why they have put their child's needs on the back burner when other parents don't. I daily see parents come to the center to pick up their children after leaving them in our care for almost 12 hours. Instead of greeting their child, they are talking to someone else on the cell phone. How is it that the parents don't notice the child's crushed expression?

Daily, parents bring sick children to our center. We actually have to demand the parents come to give medical attention to their children--even though many qualify for and receive free medical attention. One parent was called at 10:30 a.m. to pick up her feverish child. He also has many other medical problems. Mom wasn't working and receives free child care. She didn't pick up her son until the center closed at 6:30 p.m. Even though the child has free medical care, the mother never bothered to take the child to the hospital. She brought him back to the center every day for a week. Daily he would be fever free in the morning, but developed a high temperature couple of hours later. Children's Tylenol, anyone?

Then I went to church on Mother's Day. Naturally the mothers were recognized in various ways.

Then there was a baby dedication. About 10 couples brought their babies in front of the church to publicly acknowledge that they were responsible for the raising of their own children. They accepted that it was their job to instill morals and values in their children.

I felt a glimmer of hope burning within as I watched these parents, barely in their 20's standing before the congregation, determined to go the extra mile for their babies. I know that they don't have a clue about what the future holds. Maybe that's what makes parenthood such a tender, personal adventure.

I hope that they enjoy the adventure as much as I did--and still do.

No comments: